Join us on Thursday, November 28th from 6pm-9pm for a casual tasting of the newly released “Punk Rauch” from Brasserie Le Trou Du Diable (http://www.troududiable.com/), a limited collaboration between the brewery and punk rock legend John Wright from Nomeansno / Hanson Brothers. This event will be part of a nation wide launch in every major city Le Trou Du Diable distributes their beer including: British Columbia (Bierkraft), Quebec City(Versa), Edmonton(TBD) and Montreal (Maison Publique) All of the following beers will be available by the glass and bottle serving size:
- Le Trou Du Diable Dulcis Succubus
- Le Trou Du Diable Buteuse Brassin Special
- Le Trou du Diable Buteuse
- Le Trou Du Diable Le Purgatoire Archeoporter
- Le Trou Du Diable Saison Du Tracteur
- Le Trou Du Diable Punk Rauch
- Le Trou Du Diable X barvolo 25th Anniversary
John Wright from Nomeansno and Hanson Brothers (nomeanswhatever.com), is known and appreciated internationally for his contribution to punk rock music over the last three decades .But what some may not know is he is also a passionate amateur-brewer. After many years and many batches he has perfected a beer he is very proud of.
Punk Rauch is a smoked lager in the old Bavarian tradition introduced to modern Barrel aging. Hosted two months in a bourbon barrel, it offers a scent of earthy hops on a background of wood and smoked ham. The taste, light and crusty, provides a short sensation of sweet malt quickly instigating a lively scrap with toasty resinous smoke reminiscent of a tasty brew around the campfire.
Join us tomorrow night for a pre-cask days celebration with the amazing guys from Parallel 49 in British Columbia. Mike, Anthony and their brewer Graham will be present. This is the first time their beers will be available on tap in Ontario! Tasting will start at 7pm, no admission!
- Old Boy Classic Ale - Brown Ale, 5%
- Hoparazzi India Pale Lager - IPL, 6%
- Salty Scot Sea Salted Caramel Scotch Ale - Wee Heavy, 7.5%
- Snap, Crackle, Hop! Imperial Rice IPA - Imperial IPA, 9.3%
- Schadenfreude Pumpkin Oktoberfest Lager - Spiced Marzen, 5%
- Radler - Radler, 4%
- Lost Souls Chocolate Pumpkin Porter - Spiced Porter, 6.5%
- Gypsy Tears Ruby Ale - Red Ale, 6%
- Crane Kick Sorachi Ace Pilsner - Pilsner, 5.8%
- Lord of the Hops India Pale Ale - IPA, 7.2%
Canada’s Largest Annual Cask-Conditioned Craft Beer Festival Returns for its 9th Year
Click Here To Buy Tickets! // Facebook Event Page
Cask Days has evolved into one of the most coveted craft beer events in North America. Along with featuring over 200 cask-conditioned ales from over 100 Canadian microbreweries, highlighted this year at Evergreen Brickworks will be 36 beers from the United Kingdom, the International Brewery Feature… the roots of “real ale”.
As a major contributor to the Ontario craft beer community, the family behind Toronto mainstay barVolo, have taken Cask Days and elevated the beer drinking experience, spearheading one of the largest festivals of its kind. Cask Days 2013 will host over 4000 people over 2 days. From beer introduction & education to promoting a community-focused beer drinking lifestyle, Cask Days offers premium one-of-a-kind brews alongside a standout line-up of beer-focused workshops, art, music, food pairings and one-on-ones with brewers on site.
In the midst of a never ending list of beer events, we have managed to squeeze in one more (probably the most important) before this years Cask Days, our 25th anniversary. Join us this Saturday (September 28th) starting at 8pm for a very casual, laid back celebration of our quarter century history at 587 Yonge St. To commemorate this celebration Ralph has been busy brewing special one off collaborations with some of our closest industry friends for the event….and there will also be a special keg of Cantillon Iris. Check out the full beer list below. Hope to see everyone Saturday! (No Admission, No Tickets)
A House Ales Shikki Mikki 2012 (Berliner Weisse)
B House Ales Eric (Farmhouse Saison)
C House Ales Westside IPA (American IPA)
D House Ales Jason (Belgian Porter)
E House Ales Swag Out 2012 (Imperial Stout With Swag)
F House Ales Golden Rod (Strong Blond Ale)
G House Ales Abbey Normal 2012 (Belgian Dubbel)
H House Ales 587 (American Barleywine Aged In 4 Rose Boubon Barrel)
I House Ales X Matt Tweedy House Lager (Imperial Lager)
J House Ales X Granite “Ron” (English Pale Ale)
K House Ales X Half Pints “The Other White House ” (Black DIPA)
L House Ales X Erica Graholm “Glaskasten Dampfbier” (Dampfbier)
M House Ales X Erica Graholm “Soft Hand” (American IPA)
N House Ales X Benelux “Voluxious 2 (American IPA)
O House Ales X Beer Works “Rudy” (Gose Style Saison)
P House Ales X Toronto Brewing “Zack” (Oak Smoked Stout)
Q House Ales X F&m “George” (Pale Mild)
R House Ales X Mike Lackey “Raffaelleus Amarilleus” India Session Ale
S House Ales X Nickel Brook “Ryan” (Black India Session Ale)
T House Ales X Indie Ale House “Ralph’s Nuts” (Saison With Nuts)
U House Ales X Cheshire Valley “Paul” (Dark Mild)
V House Ales X Flying Monkey “Sebastian” (English Bitter)
W Amsterdam ” Iain ” Robust Porter
X Dieu Du Ciel! Peche Mortel (Imperial Coffe Stout)
Y Tawse ” Bistro Riesling “
z Norman Hardy “Pinot Noir”
1 House Ales X Toronto Brewing “Zack” (Oak Smoked Stout)
2 House Ales X F&M “George” (English Pale Mild)
3 House Ales X Sawdust City “Spinney” (Sweet Potato Brown Ale)
4 House Ales X Punters Gold (Golden Ale)
5 House Ales X Cheshire Valley “Paul” (Dark Mild)
6 House Ales X Flying Monkeys “Sebastian” (English Bitter)
TAPS PATIO BAR
1 Cantillon “Iris” (Dry Hopped Lambic)
2 Dieu Du Ciel! Solstice D’Ete (Raspberry Sour Wheat)
3 Bellwoods “Farmageddon” (Cherry Saison)
4 Black Oak “Barrel Age Saison”
Trou Du Diable “barVolo 25th Anniversary Ale” (Special Sour Blend)
+ Various special vintages from barVolo cellar
Saturday, September 14th, 2013 @barVolo
UPDATE: Ticketed session from 3pm-7pm that guarantee’s a taster of Zwanze is SOLD OUT! We will be opening the doors to general public (non ticket holders) at 7:00pm and open until 2:00am. The cost will be $5.00 and you get a Funk Night / Zwanze glass. (please note if we are at capacity it will be a one out / one in scenario) All of the amazing beers advertised on our list will still be available after 7:00pm but we cannot guarantee any Cantillon will be left.
Beer List & More Info: http://guestlistapp.com/events/178959
It is with great pleasure to announce that on Saturday, September 14th, 2013 at 3:00pm barVolo will be one of the 46 locations across the world chosen by Brasserie Cantillon to host Zwanze Day 2013. This is not only one of the highest honours in the craft beer industry but will mark the first time a lambic brewery has ever been served on draught in Ontario. We would like to thank Jean Van Roy from Brasserie Cantillon for this opportunity. We are so grateful to be part of this moment in craft beer history.
If things were not already sounding good enough, we have also decided to merge this day with our 3rd annual “We Live For The Funk” - a night of funky brews and funky tunes which will showcase 30 funky beers on tap from Quebec and Ontario. For The Love Of Bugs, Barrel & Bacteria. This Will Be Epic!
A Day of Soul, Reggae, and Bellwoods Beer // Saturday, August 24th, 2013
BUY TICKETS // https://guestlistapp.com/events/176925
TAPS & CASKS
- Bellwoods Grognard (Session Stout)
- Bellwoods Bootknife (Belgian Brown Ale)
- Bellwoods Lost River (Baltic Porter)
- Bellwoods Hellwoods (Imperial Stout)
- Bellwoods Bring Out Your Dead (Imperial Stout Aged in Cognac Barrels)
- Bellwoods White Picket Fence (Belgian Wit)
- Bellwoods Farmhouse Saison (Saison)
- Bellwoods Belgian IPA (Belgian IPA)
- Bellwoods Phantom Limb (Tripel)
- Bellwoods Cuvee De Grandma’s Boy (a blend of Tripel and Saison)
- Bellwoods Wizard Wolf (Dry-Hopped Session Ale)
- Bellwoods Monogamy Galaxy (Single Hop Pale Ale)
- Bellwoods Monogamy Simcoe (Single Hop Pale Ale)
- Bellwoods Monogamy Chinook (Single Hop Pale Ale)
- Bellwoods Monogamy Summit (Single Hop Pale Ale)
- Bellwoods Quien Es El Hefe? (German Hefeweizen)
- Bellwoods Omertà (Pale Ale with Orange Peel and Hibiscus Flower)
- Bellwoods Roman Candle (IPA)
- Bellwoods Witchshark (IIPA)
- Bellwoods Mashpipe Rhubarb (Berlinerweisse with Smoked Rhubarb)
- Bellwoods Sour Berliner (Berlinerweisse with Ginger and Apricot)
- Bellwoods No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Sour Stout)
- Bellwoods Fruit Helmet (Pale Ale with Mango and Apricot, Collab with Evil Twin Brewing)
- Bellwood Fruit Helmet #2 (Pale Ale with Pineapple and Goji Berry)
- Bellwoods Frambizzle (Saison with Raspberries, Collab with Trou Du Diable)
- Bellwoods Tripel With Lemons (Cask)
- Bellwoods Imp. Stout aged In Cognac Barrel With Cacao Nibs & Cherries (Cask)
- Bellwoods TBD (Cask)
- Bellwoods TBD (Cask)
- Bellwoods TBD (Cask)
From The Bellwoods Blog….
Over the last little while, we’ve been quietly, methodically and diabolically building a keg mountain in the most secret corner of our walk in fridge. This mysterious collection of individual ales is marked only with a simple note that says: RESERVED FOR VOLO. Do not touch!
A tap takeover at Volo has been in the cards for sometime, the question was only a matter of when — when would we finally have 26 unique beers to fill their extensive tap collection? It definitely took a bit of time and planning, but we’re excited to announce that the whole question of when has finally been answered. We’re ready!
Not only will we be pouring crowd pleasers like Wizard Wolf and Roman Candle, but also old favourites like the Smoked Rhubarb Mashpipe, Lost River Baltic Porter, Cuvee De Grandma’s Boy, and Omertá.
In addition to the 26 beers on draft, we’ll also be tapping 6 casks, and popping a selection of reserve bottles. This is definitely the most extensive single line up of our beers to date, and we couldn’t be more excited to showcase them all at one time. With a total of at least 32 different beers to sample, we send you forth with only one piece of advice: choose wisely!
So if we don’t see you at some point on the 24th, the assumption will naturally be that you are either: A) in labour, B) in orbit, C) doing your hair that day, or D) all of the above. Of course, “D” is the most respected excuse.
Buy a compass, avoid heavy lifting the week before, and carb-load at breakfast, ‘cause this is going to be a marathon. Through some Darwinian chain of events, you are practically ensuring that your children will become successful brewers by attending this event. It’s science. Don’t mess with it.
A few updates from the barVolo team.. We are really excited to introduce a new Ontario VQA draught wine program. Lines “Y” & “Z” will now be dedicated to rotating local red and white wine. So far we have featured Tawse Riesling, Lailey Cabernet Merlot and Norman Hardie Pinot Gris.
We have received our first shipment from Brasserie De La Senne ( Brussels, Belgium) courtesy of our sister import company Keep6 Imports. De La Senne Taras Boulba (Hoppy Belgian Pale Ale), Zinnebier (Belgian Blonde), Zwarte Piet (Belgian Strong), Stouterik (Belgian Stout) and Jambe De Bois (Belgian Triple). Also a few goodies from Quebec, Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel! Solstice D’Ete (Sour Raspberry Wheat) & Les Trois Mousquetaires Gose (Salty Sour Wheat).
There are also plenty of events to look forward to including Bellwoods Sun Splash (August 24th), Cantillon Zwanze Day / We Live For The Funk (September 14th), our 25th anniversary party (September 28th) and our 9th annual cask-conditioned craft beer festival ‘Cask Days" (October 19th & 20th). Make sure to mark these dates on your calendar. Enjoy your holiday weekend! (We will be opened on Monday for $5.00 pint night!)
Anyone who’s been to Volo lately has probably noticed that change is in the air once again. Volo is feeling the renewal of spring as the ivy takes over its walls, flowers bloom outside, and a brand-spanking new bar finds its way onto the back patio. (All the while Ralph continues to wage war with the stubborn pigeon who against all odds finds a way to maintain residence in the eaves of Volo).
Where to begin with all this change? Why not start with the new bottle menu. If you wanted to sum it up in one sentence, it could be: “Lambic and geuze and saison, oh my!” Or even, “Cantillon and De Ranke and Dupont, oh my!” But probably you should take the time to admire the entire list, which features some really exciting sours and saisons that will complement the patio season so well. From the De Ranke XX Bitter to the Saison Dupont Biologique to the Cantillon Fou’ Foune apricot lambic, there is something for everybody. (Try any of these paired with the cheese board – you can thank us later). We’ve also got some new gems from closer to home, like Le Trou Du Diable’s La Bretteuse, Le Purgatoire (an archéoporter brewed in collaboration with Dieu du Ciel!), La Dulcis Succubus, and La Buteuse Brassin Spécial – all barrel aged beauties with stunning complexities.
Want to keep it simple? As always we have Rosée d’Hibiscus on tap - inside AND outside. The outside bar is up and running during peak times and features classic summer sippers, as well as our new beer-inspired cocktails. Stay tuned for tasting events at the patio bar this summer.
Thirsty yet? The sun is shining – see you on the patio.
Also…we are now open from 2pm-2am Monday to Thursday and 12pm-2am Friday - Sunday all summer!
“The Devil is Coming”
Sunday, May 26th, 2013 (2:00pm - 11:00pm)
16 Unique Beers On Draught From Le Trou Du Diable
@WVRST Beer Hall (609 King St. West)
Join Micro-Brasserie Le Trou Du Diable
(Shawinigan, Quebec) on Sunday, May 26th, 2013 from 2:00pm-11:00pm
with co-owner Isaac Tremblay and co-owner / brew master André Trudel at WVRST Beer Hall
(Toronto, Ontario) for “The Devil Is Coming”. We will be celebrating the arrival of Le Trou Du Diable Shawinigan Handshake (Hopfenweisse) to the LCBO summer beer release in early June. Here is what will be served on tap:
- Le Trou Du Diable Amer Indienne (Belgian IPA)
- Le Trou Du Diable Cholie Fraulein (German Dunkel)
- Le Trou Du Diable Chose (India Wee-Heavy)
- Le Trou Du Diable Claymore (Scotch Ale)
- Le Trou Du Diable L’Epoque Opaque (Black IPA)
- Le Trou Du Diable Mactavish (American PAle Ales)
- Le Trou Du Diable Morsure (American IPA)
- Le Trou Du Diable Ninja Pale Ale (Cascadian Dark Lager)
- Le Trou Du Diable Angelus (Belgian Pale Ale)
- Le Trou Du Diable Porter (British Porter)
- Le Trou Du Diable Ruby Red (Irish Red Ale)
- Le Trou Du Diable Saison D’Tracteur (Belgian Saison)
- Le Trou Du Diable Sang d’Encre (Irish Dry Stout)
- Le Trou Du Diable Shawinigan Handshake (Hopfenweisse)
- Le Trou Du Diable SMASH Citra (IPA Single Malt / Single Hop)
- Le Trou Du Diable Désinvolte (Amber Ale) Cask-Conditioned
- Le Trou Du Diable Dubaï Pillée (Double IPA) Cask-Conditioned
- Le Trou Du Diable Sang D’Encre (Irish Dry Stout) Cask-Conditioned
“Barrel Aged Tasting”
Saturday, May 25th, 2013 (6:00pm - 9:00pm)
6 Unique Barrel Aged Beers In Bottles From Le Trou Du Diable
@barVolo (587 Yonge St.)
Join Micro-Brasserie Le Trou Du Diable
(Shawinigan, Quebec) on Saturday, May 25h, 2013 from 5:00pm-9:00pm
with co-owner Isaac Tremblay and co-owner / brew master André Trudel at barVolo
(Toronto, Ontario) for a very special barrel aged bottle tasting. The following beers will be served by the bottle and sample:
- Le Trou Du Diable Dulcis Succubus (Barrel Aged Imperial Sour Saison)
- Le Trou Du Diable Buteuse Brassin Special (Barrel Aged Belgian Tripel)
- Le Trou Du Diable Bretteuse (Barrel Aged Farmhouse IPA)
- Le Trou Du Diable X DDC! Archeo Porter (Barrel Aged Sour Porter)
- Le Trou Du Diable Nez de Poivrot (Barrel Aged Barley Wine)
- Le Trou Du Diable Imperatrice 2009 (Barrel Aged Imperial Stout)